The Department of Business Administration was established in the 2016/2017 session with Dr. Okeke Patrick Anene as pioneer Head of Department. The Department was initially situated in one room behind the university library. It was then moved to the main building in 2017/2018 session with one office and one class room. The department had four year programme since its inception. Its main programme leads to the award of Bachelor of Science (Hons) Degree in Business Administration. The first batch of B.Sc. (Hons.) degree students will be graduating by 2019/2020 academic session.
The philosophy of Business Administration is to produce managerial manpower with appropriate knowledge, skills and aptitude to handle the ever growing and changing business environment. The training in Bus-Admin involves the broad strategy of human resources development with its broader goals of social and political modernization while the provisions for the development of the discipline in terms of funds, infrastructures, facilities competent staff and employment outlets, aimed at encompassing not only educational but also cultural, social and political development, thereby contributing to the building of national identity and integrity. The training in Business Administration needs to be thorough and of relevance which will ensure our graduates employment opportunities or an environment whereby they could be creative, innovative and seek self employment.
The main objectives of the degree programme in Business Administration are as follows;
a) To instill in Students a sense of enthusiasm for Business Administration, an appreciation of its application and relevance in the solution of different societal development problems, and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
b) To provide Students with a broad and balanced foundation of business knowledge and practical skills.
c) To develop in Students the ability to apply their geological knowledge and skills to the solution of theoretical and practical problems in Business Administration.
d) To develop in Students, a range of transferrable skills and attitudes that are of value in Business and non-business employment.
e) To provide Students with the knowledge and skill base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of business or multi- disciplinary areas involving f) To inculcate in Students an appreciation and application of Business Administration in an industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.
The then Military Governor of Anambra State, late Air Commodore Omeruah commissioned the said college of Agriculture due to the specialized nature of the Institution and students apathy to agriculture, the college failed to meet up with the expectations of the founders. When, however, the federal government of Nigeria made laws and regulations allowing the establishment of private Universities in Nigeria, the proprietor of Legacy University Okija went into intense and meticulous planning on the establishment of the first rate University. The result of the efforts crystallized in the quest and preparedness to establish a private University to be called ‘Legacy University Okija’. To the glory of God, the Federal Government of Nigeria approved the establishment of Legacy University, Okija along side with different departments of which Accountancy was not left out on 2 nd November, 2016.
The Department of Accountancy in the Faculty of Management of Science of the Legacy University, Okija offers a four-year regular degree programme in Accountancy with a wide range of courses or subjects leading to the award of the Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Degree in Accountancy. First, the programme is aimed at sharpening the mind and the intellectual of the individual student by imparting theoretical and practical knowledge needed to function in the business world. There is also a deliberate design to inculcate a spirit of self-reliance in our graduates, with a view to making them not just job applicants at the end of their course of studies, but potential entrepreneurs and employers of labour. The third underlying philosophy is to induce a community consciousness in the graduates of our Programme, making them thoroughly relevant to their community and society, and properly envisioned to change that environment for the better. Finally, we aim to sensitize the hearts and minds of our professionals, to the need for genuine patriotism, integrity and dignity of labour in the entire citizenry. Besides, the Institution motto: Scholarship for Excellency; emphasis the core values that the Department seeks to imbue the students with.
Accounting education and training as offered by the Department of Accountancy of Legacy University, Okija has the following basic objectives:
a) To provide the students with the general business knowledge and the general entrepreneurial skill needed for self-survival;
b) To provide the students with the general book-keeping and accounting knowledge and skill needed to direct all accounting activities in all types of organization;
c) To provide students as accountants and management experts, able to conduct high quality accounting work in private and public corporations;
d) To equip the students with the quantitative analytical, evaluative, communicative and general leadership skill needed for proper stewardship in accounting and for the effective management of organization.
e) To prepare students for varied responsibilities and opportunities of accounting careers in this era of e-commerce, e-accounting and artificial intelligence techniques.
Legacy University Okijabegan inNovember 2016 when it was established in order to provide a citadel of academic excellence for the teeming population of youths in Anambra State, its environs and the wider public who desire higher education. The Department of Public Administration, as one of the University’s start- off units, commenced in 2016/2017 session with 3 students and three lecturers with Prof.Chubah Ezehas the first head of department. The academic programme is designed in line with the National University Commission (NUC) standard and course outlines drawn are similar to those of some older Universities. The non-teaching staff strength has also grown from one at commencement to two currently. In its 3 years of existence the department’s pursuit of academic excellence is ready to produce a harvest of erudite graduates.
Public Administration is an academic field of study that is concerned with the management of human and material resources in the government sector in order to achieve the desired societal objective. In other words, the programme is concerned with the systematic and analytic study of the management of public resources so as to achieve the collective goal of building a better society. The study of Public Administration is useful for the understanding of how men, money and materials could be managed and utilized to the maximum interest of citizens. The Department of Public Administration of Legacy University strives to prepare students, from diverse backgrounds, to become professionals with the knowledge and skills required for ethical leadership in the public, non-profit and private sectors through effective teaching, applied and scholarly research, visitations to places of academic interest particularly in government establishments and service to developing communities. Theoretically, the programme is intended to expose the students to the need for all members to participate in managing public resources.
1. To equip the students with skills, knowledge and methodology needed for effective management of public resources.
2. To produce graduates who possess the skill, confidence and techniques necessary for efficient performance in government establishments.
3. To inculcate in the students the necessary values, skills and techniques for effective and moral leadership in public institutions and the society at large.
4. To produce individuals who will be committed in handling community and national affairs.
5. To instill in our graduates the value of high regard for public Administration; individuals that will understand the need for community and national services, rather than regard Public Administration as a service for “Whiteman”. 6. In view of the fact that the overall essence of education is the development of the society, the programme will produce graduates who will value efficiency, effectiveness, increased productivity, and values that can yield progress and optimum utilization of the resources in the government sector so as to achieve improved living standard of the people.
The Department of Political Science is one of the Departments under the Faculty of Social Sciences. It is among the foundation Department of the University. That is to say, the department began when the University took off in the year 2016/2017 academic session, with about five students and one lecturer pioneering it. The lecturer is Very Rev. Fr. Dr. Ejimbeonwu, Gerald who first co-ordinated the affairs of Departments of Political Science and Public Administration, and became the substantive head of Political Science It is worthy of mention that the department which started with about five students and one lecturer, as earlier mentioned presently has a population of about fourty students with more lecturers.
Right from the beginning, the programme of the department is in line with its philosophy. This philosophy, like that of any other social science discipline is to produce graduates imbued with the ability to understand and make contribution to the development of Nigeria and the global community. This is to be achieved by equipping them with a broad foundation in the general field of Social Sciences as well as specialized knowledge in Political Science. The philosophy and mission of Political Science discipline is to produce graduate with critical mind, requisite ability and skill to analyse, comprehend, predict and influence the factors that shape and mould power relationships in an ever changing socio-political environment in a globalizing world. Political Science does not just study power and power relations among men within the state and the international system, it also serve as an instrument for citizenship education. As an instrument for citizenship education, the programme has the practical goal of inculcating in the students the knowledge of government, its processes, democratic ideals, values, attitudes and norms that are essential for the development and sustenance of a democratic culture and stable polity.
The systematic study of power and power relations among men within the state and the international system is the defining essence of the programme of political science. It seeks to understand the institutional framework for managing the vital affairs of the many, the dynamic factors-social, economic and political-which impact upon the society and determine the design of public policy – as well as the relations among the states and international organisations. Put simply, political science concerns itself with the acquisition, control and exercise of power by individuals and groups within the state as well as the relations among various states and international organisations. Within the context of the overriding philosophy, the programme is designed to equip the students with the knowledge and skills to contribute positively to the socio-economic development of the country. More specifically, the main objectives of the degree programme can be stated as follows: Equip the students with adequate statistical and quantitative skills and the ability to apply them to the analysis of socio-economic and political issues and policies. Equip the students with knowledge and understanding of political science methods and Equip the students with knowledge and ability to discuss public policies generally.
The Department of Banking and Finance is one of the Departments under the Management Sciences in Legacy University Okija, Anambra State. The Department took off in the year 2016/2017 session, at the same time with every other department in the University. Though, young, the Department is gradually expanding to become a major centre of teaching and research in Banking and Finance. The Department offers a four year and three year (Direct Entry) degree programme leading to the award of a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Degree in Banking and Finance. The purpose of the programme is to provide essential manpower for both the public and the private sectors of the economy. The staff mix in the programme provides a broad exposure to the dynamics of Banking and Finance for the well being of the individuals and the society with the aim of producing pliable personnel. It is designed in such a manner that it would produce skilled manpower with both theoretical and practical information pertinent to the various aspects of Banking and Finance Industry.
The Academic programme of this Department is to broaden the mind, impact both theoretical and practical knowledge on the individual, to develop confidence, undertake inventive and self dependent activities in the field of Banking and Finance. In view of this, the Departmental programme has a basic viewpoint of providing outstanding services to the Community with the end -product being able to act as a channel in bringing about the much needed changes in the nation's financial industry.
In keeping with the above core philosophy, the major objectives of the degree programme in Banking and Finance are to: • Provide basic knowledge and skills needed for the understanding and analysis of problems relating to Banking, Finance and other human organizations. • Equip students with the analytical skills needed for recognizing, defining and solving problems as well as training in decision-making • Develop leadership and interpersonal relations skills in the Management of the nation's financial, and non-financial organizations, and • Train students in the principles and techniques of financial Management and to ensure effective Management of the nation's financial sector. Specifically, the programme and its curriculum would give the students comprehensive education that equips them with facts and decision-making skills in a variety of problem areas.
The Department of Sociology domiciled in the Faculty of Arts, Management and Social Sciences at Legacy University, Okija was established in Nov 2016/2017 session. It is designed to run a four-year standard program which will lead to a B.Sc honours degree in Sociology. The Pro-Chancellor and the entire University management are instrumental to the success of the Department to its present level.
The department of Sociology seeks to prepare students to lead fulfilling careers and live through critical thinking and analysis of pressing issues; conduct exemplary basic and applied sociological and interdisciplinary scholarship; and communicate knowledge via high quality professional venues and through excellence service, teaching and outreach.
1. To provide appropriate environment for students to realize the level of creativity and thus promote the spirit of self-reliance.
2. To expose students to the theory principles and methods of the courses taught in the Department; to improve students independent mind writing and analytic ability as well as objective and critical judgment.
3. To teach students to be able to describe how social structures, culture and institutions operates. This will help them to develop and apply a comparative perspective to explain the diversity of human societies.
4. To help students formulate research questions with clarity and accurately use the basic vocabulary common among social science researchers.
5. To enable students to cope effectively with the socio-cultural and interpersonal processes of a constantly changing complex society.
6. To prepare students for graduate studies.
The Department of economics of the Faculty of Arts, Management and Social Sciences Lagacy University was established in 2016/2017 academic Session. This development was sequel to approvals of the University Senate and national universities Commission. The department started with 6 students and with 4 academic staff and 2 non-teaching staff. Mr.Cletus Onwuka was the pioneer head of department. The pioneer students of the department are currently in 400 levels. The Department of Economics is currently operating at the permanent site of the institution at Okija, and has continued to witness increase in both Academic and Administrative staff.
The philosophy and mission statement underlying the economics programme is to produce graduates equipped with critical skills and abilities to abstract using simplified models that identify the essence of a problem, analyse and reason both deductively; marshal evidence, assimilate structure and analyse qualitative; and quantitative data; communicate concisely the results to a wide audience including those with no training in Economics; think critically about the limits of one's analysis in a broader socio-economic context, and draw economic policy inferences and to recognise the potential constraint in the implementation.
• Provide training in the principles of economics and their application appropriate to the type of degree concerned: single, joint and combined studies; • Stimulate students intellectually through the study of economics and to lead them to appreciate; its application to a range of problems and its relevance in a variety of contexts; • Provide a firm foundation of knowledge about the workings of an economy and to develop the relevant skills for the constructive use of the knowledge in a range of settings: • Develop in students the ability to apply the analytical tools, knowledge and skills acquired to the solution of societies economic problems. • Equip students with appropriate tool of analysis to tackle issues and problems of economic policy. • Develop in students, through the study of economics, a range of transferable skills that will be of value in employment and self employment; • Provide students with analytical skills and the ability to develop simplified frameworks for studying the real world; • Provide students with the knowledge and skill base, from which they can proceed to further studies in economics, related areas or in inter disciplinary areas that involve economics; and Generate in students an application of the economic dimension of wider social and political issues.
Chemistry was among the first disciplines introduced at the inception of the University in Nov. 2016. The Department admitted the first intake of two students the same year. There were two lecturers on part-time; a professor and a lecturer 1 who taught these students. Through these years, many more lecturers have been employed. The Department has a teaching laboratory managed by a qualified laboratory technologist who has worked in industries, research institutes and other universities.
Chemistry is a foundation discipline in the Sciences. It deals with the nature and properties of matter and the principles governing the interactions within and between them. It thus provides the basis for understanding chemical processes and for developing new products from existing ones. Chemistry as a science is an essential pivot to science and technological development and therefore of national growth and attendant contribution in human welfare, health and progress. A difficulty often encountered is to know how to apply the information obtained and the theoretical concepts learnt in solving chemical problems. The programmes outlined in the booklet are aimed to solve this problem. The degree programmes are planned to present chemistry in a clear, down to earth manner that emphasizes the general principles of chemistry and blend this with practical examples which when applied can be of human benefit or harm. It is also aimed at ensuring the graduates easily find employment opportunities or on their own create from what they have learnt an environment whereby they could be self employed and create opportunities of others. Chemistry aims at training man power capable of:
i. Translating into practical use the knowledge and understanding of chemistry with special reference to health, industry, mines and power, transport, science and technology;
ii. Devising chemical processes for the conversing of available materials into more desirable ones. For example, converting available minerals, animal and vegetable matter into industrial raw materials;
iii. Teaching chemistry competently in schools and colleges with inspiring knowledge of the theoretical principles and laboratory skills;
iv. Advancing the frontiers of knowledge in chemistry through teaching and research. The goals highlighted above are important for meaningful national development. This obviously entails that there is need for the chemistry graduate in industry, education, etc. Also, because of the basic nature of the subject, the discipline offers service courses up to the 300 level to students in the departments of Chemistry and Microbiology. Chemistry courses are also audited by students in the other departments of the faculty.
The overall contributions of fundamental sciences such as physics in the field of science and technology which makes life easy for mankind are widely known and acclaimed. The philosophy behind the establishment of the Department of Physics, Legacy University Okija is aimed towards an in-depth acquisition of the relevant skills, scientific knowledge, technological competency and norm in both experimental and theoretical aspects of physics and its related disciplines by the students. This will eventually ensure that the graduates of the programme are capable of making momentous contributions in the scientific for the technological and industrial advancement of their immediate community where they found themselves and the nation in general.
1. To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of physics knowledge and practical skills.
2. To instill in students a sense of enthusiasm for physics and appreciation of its applications in different contexts.
3. To involve the students in intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
4. To maintain an environment in a research active department where staff are committed to teaching physics as a coherent and challenging subject.
5. To support teaching and learning with well – equipped laboratory, library and computing facilities.
6. To provide a high quality education which prepares students for further study and research in physics and for a wide range of career opportunities in industry and commerce.
7. To develop in students, the ability to apply their knowledge and skills in physics to the solution of theoretical and practical problems.
8. To develop in students through an education in physics a range of transferable skills of value in physics and other areas.
9. To provide support and guidance that students need, and to encourage them to take on responsibility for their educational development.
10. To monitor, review and enhance educational provision to ensure that it remains intellectually demanding and relevant to current needs of physics graduates.
The department of microbiology was established in the month of November, in the year 2016 with the total number of – students. The pioneer head of the department was Obadiah Ijeoma who actually took a giant stride in the coordination of departmental affairs. Successively the department currently houses majority of the University students and currently records about –students.
The B.Sc. program in Microbiology gives a broad exposure to the students in theory and practice of microbiology and emphasizes the application of Microbiology in Medicine, Industry, Biotechnology, Environment and other relevant fields. Students in the programme are required to take other courses in Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry, Mathematics, Biostatistics, Computer science, Botany and Zoology so as to broaden their knowledge and also for better understanding of their field of study.
To produce graduates of high quality standing who could fit into different walks of life and various branches of Microbiology establishments and research institute at both national and international levels.
1) To inculcate in the students a broad and balanced Microbiology knowledge and practical skills.
2) To intellectually stimulate a satisfying experience of learning and studying in different aspects of Microbiology.
3) To impart to students the necessary knowledge and skills towards solving theoretical and practical problems in Microbiology.
4) To teach students the importance of Microbiological research in industrial, environmental, medical and biotechnological development.
5) To provide students with the necessary knowledge for further studies in Microbiology or multidisciplinary areas involving Microbiology
6) To provide through training and orientation, an appreciation of the rewards of collaborative approach in solving complex life problems.
7) To develop in students, a range of transferable skills that are of value in Microbiology and related employment fields
The Department of computer Science is one of the Departments under the Faculty of Social Sciences. It is among the foundation Department of the University. That is to say, the department began when the University took off in the year 2016/2017 academic session, with about five students and one lecturer pioneering it. who first co-ordinated the affairs of Departments of Computer Science and became the substantive head of Computer Science It is worthy of mention that the department which started with about five students and one lecturer, as earlier mentioned presently has a population of about twenty four students with more lecturers.
Computer Science has been universally accepted as a convergence of technologies and sciences. The department desires to train mission-oriented computer software experts who will immediately, upon graduation, become competent professionals, able to relate their studies to actual and pratical situations. The programmes have been design to equip graduate for a wide varity of careers in the computing, software Development, Information Technology, Management Information Technology and related disciplines.
1. Create in students the awareness of and enthusiasm for computer science and its capabilities
2. Involve the students in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying
3. Provide a broad and balanced foundation in computer science knowledge and practical skills
4. Develop in students through an education in computer science a range of transferable applicable skills of information technology to all aspects of human endeavours.
5. Generate in students an appreciation of the importance of computer in an industrial, economic, technological and social context.
6. Provide students with knowledge and skills base for further studies in computer science or multi-disciplinary studies involving computer science.
The Department of Cyber security is one of the Departments under the Faculty of Social Sciences. Cyber security department took off in 2020/2021 academic session along side, with Information Technology Department.
Cyber security has been universally accepted as a convergence of technologies and sciences. The department desires to train mission-oriented Cyber security experts who will immediately, upon graduation, become competent professionals in the field of Cyber security, able to relate their studies to actual and pratical situations. The programmes have been design to equip graduate for a wide varity of careers in the Cyber security, software Development, and related disciplines.
1. Create in students the awareness of and enthusiasm for Cyber security and its capabilities
2. Involve the students in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying
3. Provide a broad and balanced foundation in Cyber security knowledge and practical skills
4. Generate in students an appreciation of the importance of Cyber security in an industrial, economic, technological world at large.
5. Provide students with knowledge and skills base for further studies in Cyber tech or multi-disciplinary studies involving Cyber security.
The Department of Information Technology is one of the Departments under the Faculty of Social Sciences. It is among the foundation Department of the University. That is to say, the department began in the year 2020/2021 academic session.
Information Technology has been universally accepted as a convergence of technologies and sciences. The department desires to train mission-oriented software/tech experts who will immediately, upon graduation, become competent professionals, able to relate their studies to actual and pratical situations. The programmes have been design to equip graduate for a wide varity of careers in the computing, software Development, Information Technology, Management Information Technology and related disciplines.
1. Create in students the awareness of and enthusiasm for Information Technology and its capabilities
2. Involve the students in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying
3. Provide a broad and balanced foundation in tech knowledge and practical skills
4. Develop in students through an education in Information Technology a range of transferable applicable skills of information technology to all aspects of human endeavours.
5. Generate in students an appreciation of the importance of Information Tech. in an industrial, economic, technological and social context.
6. Provide students with knowledge and skills base for further studies in Information Technology or multi-disciplinary studies involving tech.
The biochemistry unit offers course leading to the award of B.Sc (Hons) degree in biochemistry. Admission is by Entrance Examination (JME) or Direct Entry (DE) for candidates who possess the relvant ‘A’ level papers or equivalent. JME candidates undergo a 4-year degree programme and DE candidates a 3-year programme.
Biochemistry is a science, which offers chemical and physical explanations to the unique characteristics observed in that unique group of matter that has life. It seeks to unravel the mystery underlying the chemical constitution and processes in living matter. Biochemistry has made giant strides in the last five and six decades and its relevance have been emphasized by the present trend of looking at life processes and the attendant anomalies from the molecular level. It is therefore at the core of Medicine, Agriculture, Biology, Industry etc The B.Sc program in Biochemistry aimed at producing Biochemist that are relevant to the local environment in particular and world at large in medicine, industry, Biotechnology, Environment and other relevant fields. Emphasis is therefore laid on the possible use of locally available materials in improving the nutritional, health and industrial requirements of the immediate environment and Nigeria at large. Students in the programme are required to take other courses in Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, Mathematics, Biostatistics, Computer science, and Biology so as to broaden their knowledge and also for better understanding of their field of study.
The philosophy of Mass Communication in Legacy University is hinged on the view of mass communication as an omnibus discipline. This is why the discipline is regarded as a gateway discipline and hence popular in all universities. The vision of Mass Communication Department in Legacy University is to expand the frontiers of knowledge and with due diligence birth intellectually savvy journalists, media professionals, researchers and experts in general field of Information and similar other endeavours. With the field of Media/Communication ever in constant evolution, the department hopes to keep up with trends and thus produce students of sound intellectual repute. The objective of the Mass Communication programme in Legacy University is to imbue in the students the knowledge and skills needed to function properly in different areas of communication: Radio, Television, Cinema, Newspaper, Magazine, Online and New Media, Book Publishing, Public Relations, Advertising, News Agency, General Information Services, the Academia, Popular Culture and Gender Communication. In order to ensure our students come out reliable, the department lays serious emphasis on practical exposures. The Department also recognizes the inter-disciplinary nature of knowledge in recent times, hence students are equally exposed to other fields of study including, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Religion, Public Administration, Research Methodology, Languages etc.